Wednesday 26 February 2014

Free sewing classes

Last night I went along to a free sewing class run by recycle for greater manchester. 

The class was being held in Oldham gallery by to ladies from Junk a cool shop that's in manchester it offers sustainable fashion upcycled & recycled. The shop it's self is kitted out with entirely recycled materials.

The class was to do with recycling your old clothes making alterations something I've never done before. 

Now I love sewing I have a machine and I make things all the time, but what I learnt last night I was like wow why didn't I think of that before. ???

We started making bows, as a mummy to 3 little girls we love bows. Bows have to be on everything . 



My bow

My mums bow whey cooler than mine ..


We were shown how a simple bow can be added to a top or bag or shoes to total transform something so basic (or in my case cover stained baby tshirts, we all have them) 


 We were also asked to take an item of clothing we wanted to change or alter. 

I took a dress I bought from a charity shop £3 bargin !  it was from a high street store that you'd pay around £40 for normally. 

(Sorry no before picture)

I wasn't too sure what to do with it. I liked it but was very plain. So with a little help & inspiration, I added some simple flowers cut from a old peice of clothing & added few peals (from a old broken necklace)

My dress is totally transformed. No one else will have one like this for sure and the best thing is if I change my mind I can just unpick the thread and add something else. 
Now what I did was very basic but it totally changed the look of my outfit AND it didn't cost me a penny. 

You don't have to be an expert at sewing ( I'm sure not) but the key is to enjoy it, take your time and have fun! 

A bow covering a paint covered top for nursery :) 


If you live in the greater manchester area why not take a look at there website 
www.recycleforgreatermanchester.com who also offer free sewing classes along with lots of other useful information on recycling. 

And here's the website for junk 

Www.junkshop.co.uk

I'm now off to raid my childrens clothes to alter and cover up them stains :) 

Have a fab day 
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment